National Council of Catholic Women -- Convention 2014
Spirituality Commission – Church Committee
Spiritual Adoption of Unborn Human Life
Over 30 years ago a court decision was rendered which legalized abortion throughout the entire
nine months of pregnancy. The decision, Roe v. Wade, is the reason over 1 million abortions
have been committed in the U.S. each year.
To help stop the anti-life push around the world, the late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
encouraged the spiritual adoption of the unborn child. In 2012, to mark the 25th anniversary of
this prayer project, Pope Benedict XVI spoke on the Spiritual Adoption of the Unborn, saying
the prayers for the unborn are appreciated and promote a culture of life.
We know our prayers can make a difference between whether a baby will be born…or aborted.
Our prayers can also be a form of spiritual support for both of the parents.
What is the Spiritual Adoption Program?
The purpose of the Spiritual Adoption Program is threefold:
- Encourages individuals in parishes, schools and CCW’s to pray for babies in danger.
- Educates adults and children about the 9 month development of the pre-born child.
- Provides mothers in need with donated baby gifts from a shower held in the 9th month.
How does it work?
- Participants are asked to sign a pledge card and name the child for whom they will be praying for each day for nine months.
- It is suggested to start the program in January, the anniversary of Roe v. Wade and end nine months later in October, Respect Life month.
- Every month information about the growth development of the unborn child should be placed in the bulletin. A monthly poster showing fetal development is also a great visual and these posters can be ordered on line from pro- life sites.
- Each month there will be an announcement in the NCCW Connect which will include a pro-life prayer and the current developing stage of the unborn baby for members to use to post in bulletins, for further education and promotion at Council meetings.
Who can participate?
- All parishioners are invited to participate by the local CCW group.
- High school or college students may also be asked to participate.
- CCW members should be the leading participants and promoters of this prayer ministry.
Who benefits from the Spiritual Adoption program?
- Everyone! While it is not always possible to see the particular effects of prayer, we know through Scripture that God wants us to pray.
- The educational aspect of the program is beneficial to people of all ages.
- Mothers needing assistance benefit from the donated baby gifts brought to the baby shower held toward the end of the nine months of prayer.
Every day over 4,000 babies are killed by abortion. They have so little protection only the hand
of God can end this. Prayer is the best weapon to help them; the most effective.
Say this prayer every day for nine months to save a baby’s life
“Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you very much. I beg you to spare the life of the unborn baby
that I have spiritually adopted who is in danger of abortion.”
Prayer of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
A Prayer Affirming Life
God, You are the Lord and Creator of Life. You have blessed men and women with the privilege
of bringing new life into the world.
You have imparted in our hearts the desire to nurture and protect life in all its stages.
I accept these gifts as a sacred trust. Through the power of the Holy Spirit help me to affirm the
value of life. Grant me the wisdom and courage to speak out and defend human life.
Give me compassion so that I may lovingly counsel those who would reject the gift of life which
is the reflection of your image and likeness. Amen
Women Affirming Life, 159 Washington St., Brighton, MA 02135
A Prayer for Life by Saint John Paul II
O Mary, bright dawn of the new world, Mother of the living, to you do we entrust the cause of
life. Look down, O Mother, upon the vast number of babies not allowed to be born, of the poor
whose lives are made difficult, of men and women who are victims of brutal violence, of the
elderly and sick killed by indifference of our misguided mercy. Grant that all who believe in
your Son may proclaim the Gospel of life with honesty and love to the people of our time.
Obtain for them the grace to accept that Gospel as a gift ever new, the joy of celebrating it with
gratitude throughout their lives, and the courage to bear witness to it resolutely, in order to build
together with all people of good will, the civilization of truth and love, to the praise and glory of
God, the Creator and Lover of Life. Amen
“Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love but to use violence to get
what they want. This is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion.”
Blessed Mother Teresa (1910-1997)
Web Sites for Reference
Secretariat of Pro-Life Activities
Bob Paige for prayer cards and posters